Mistakes

Mistakes

Several people possess got asked me to comment on the coding error constitute inwards ane of the Reinhart-Rogoff papers. I possess got avoided the topic, since I don't intend I possess got a lot to add together to the discussion.  But because in addition to then many people possess got asked, hither are a few observations:

1. Everybody makes mistakes. I in ane lawsuit made an analytic error inwards ane of my published papers and, after it was pointed out to me, afterwards wrote a mankiw/files/savers_c.pdf">correction (published version).  Finding in addition to correcting errors is a business office of the inquiry process.  Sure, errors are embarrassing, but at that topographic point is zip dishonorable nearly making them.

2.  Policy should non last based on the results of a unmarried study.  And my sense is that it never is.

3. I believe that high levels of debt in addition to deficits are a negative for the economic scheme inwards the long run.  My views on this number possess got non changed substantially since I wrote about it amongst Larry Ball almost 20 years ago.

4. I never idea at that topographic point was a magic threshold for the debt-to-GDP ratio higher upwards which all hell breaks loose.  The footing is to a greater extent than continuous than that.

5. The coding error inwards Reinhart in addition to Rogoff has gotten a lot to a greater extent than media attending than it deserves.  Some people on the contrary side of the policy fighting possess got taken payoff of this chance to pound the drum for their views.  But merely because somebody inwards Team H5N1 makes an inadvertent excel error does non hateful that everything Team B believes is true.  To advise otherwise would last a genuinely egregious mistake.
Sumber https://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/
Blogger
Disqus
Pilih Sistem Komentar

No comments

Advertiser