Bill Gates's Freshman Year

Bill Gates's Freshman Year

By the minute semester of my freshman twelvemonth at Harvard, I had started going to classes I wasn’t signed upwards for, as well as had pretty much stopped going to whatever of the classes I was signed upwards for – except for an introduction to economics shape called “Ec 10.” I was fascinated past times the subject, as well as the professor was excellent.
Mr. Gates does non say who the professor was. And since this predates my fourth dimension at Harvard past times almost a decade, I don't know. Perhaps Otto Eckstein, who taught the course of teaching for many years.

Update: Mystery solved. Otto was indeed the caput professor, but Mr. Gates was in all probability referring to his department leader Robby Moore, who is instantly at Occidental College. Professor Moore emails me:
Hi Professor Mankiw -- I was reading your blog, as well as only wanted to allow you lot know that I was the teaching boyfriend who had Bill Gates inward my Ec. 10 section.  (I genuinely sat side past times side to you lot at the memorial service for our friend, Chip Case).  In whatever event, it was the Currier House department that met upwards inward Radcliffe Yard, as well as the academic twelvemonth was 1974-75.  Steve Ballmer was likewise inward the department of almost 25 students.  (I am certain it was the autumn semester since Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard afterwards the micro part of the course of teaching as well as I believe Bill Gates was a sophomore at the time.)  Anyway, when he did come upwards to class, which wasn't genuinely all that oft if truth last told, he was quite argumentative, which is why I remembered him..  In fact, when I presented the criterion theory of how a monopoly maximizes profits, as well as drew the criterion diagram amongst the profits box at that Q where MR = MC, he jumped correct upwards at the destination of shape as well as declared, "this theory is all wrong".......he drew a novel diagram but amongst a unlike air conditioning crease as well as his showed to a greater extent than profits at a Q where MR didn't equal MC.  I tried to explicate to him that you lot couldn't only depict inward whatever onetime air conditioning curve.......it had to last consistent amongst the MC curve, as well as the turn a profit box had to last the biggest where MC = MR, but I'm pretty certain he felt his analysis was better.   (In whatever event, that's my absolutely truthful Bill Gates Ec. 10 story.)

The residue is history.......I became a lowly Head Section Leader of Ec. 10 as well as created the commencement Readings/Workbook for the course, amongst all the course of teaching broad work sets, past times exams, as well as solutions, etc., as well as he started Microsoft.

Sumber https://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/
Blogger
Disqus
Pilih Sistem Komentar

No comments

Advertiser